The engagement rate is simply the percentage of people who like, comment or share your post. Engagement rates are easy to calculate and you’ll need to know your post’s reach (total number of impressions) multiplied by its percentage of likes, comments, shares, etc.
When you’re using social media for business purposes it’s important that you track these numbers because they show what content resonates with your followers.
Most importantly though, tracking these numbers helps you find out which posts are worth investing more time in – those with high engagement rates – so that you can create even better content in the future.
How to Calculate Engagement Rate?
The engagement rate is calculated as follows:
The post’s reach is 100 people and its percentage of likes is 10% (10 likes out of a total of 100 impressions), its percentage of comments is 5% (5 comments out of a total number of 100 impressions) and percentage of shares is 15% (15 shares out of a total number 100 impressions). The post’s engagement rate is the following: 1 x 0.1 + 1 x 0.05 + 1 x 0.15 = 1.3 (or 13%).
5 Reasons Why Businesses Should Care about Engagement Rate
Higher engagement rates equal a better return on investment, which makes it critical that businesses pay attention to them. It will be up to you to deliver quality content and strategically plan your posts in order to get the most out of each one.
Engagement rate shows you what content is resonating with your followers
The goal of social media is always to drive traffic back to a website or landing page, so engagement rate can help determine which posts do this successfully.
When people like, share and comment on your post it’s evidence that they found value in what you shared – their likes show that the content was valuable enough for them to take action after reading or watching it.
If there are very few comments then perhaps future efforts would best be spent on different types of content.
Engagement rate provides insight on your content’s impact, which could lead to better ROI in the future
When you track engagement rates you can see which of your posts got a bigger reaction from readers. When you see a post’s reach and engagement rate together it will allow you to make a more informed decision about whether or not it’s worth investing more time in.
If you see a post’s reach is high but the engagement rate is low, it might mean that the content didn’t resonate with your audience or was not as useful as you thought it would be.
Rewarding posts with higher reach and engagement rates by sharing them more often will help create a positive feedback loop that encourages followers to comment and share even more next time around.
Engagement rate metrics can provide a holistic view of your social media presence
When you track both the number of likes and comments on each post, along with its total reach, you’ll have a complete picture of all three numbers working together – which provides a better overview of your social media presence.
You should also look at shares because they can be important when trying to reach new audiences that interact with your content in unique ways. For instance, the strength of a social media platform’s search function determines how many people are able to find your posts.
Engagement rate is almost always higher on image-heavy posts
The size and complexity of an image directly affect how engaging it will be. Many factors go into creating visually appealing images, but there are certain tricks you can use for any format, including iOS apps like Canva.
The more effort you put into designing your visual content the better engagement rates you’ll see in return.
Engagement rate encourages participation among followers
When you promote active dialogue between yourself and your audience by encouraging comments or questions then it increases the chances of them coming back to your page.
This doesn’t mean you should neglect the community by always having to ask questions; it only means that if there are enough followers who would like to contribute then it’s time for you to start another discussion or pose an open-ended question.
Some businesses take this idea even further by posting polls on social media, which will encourage people to interact with you and each other.
The engagement rate is simply the percentage of people who like, comment or share your post. Engagement rates are easy to calculate and you’ll need to know your post’s reach (total number of impressions) multiplied by its percentage of likes, comments, shares, etc. Using social media for business purposes it’s important knowing this numbers because they show what content resonates with your followers. The most importantly though, tracking these numbers helps